I was expecting our first child, a
son. We had attended all the birthing
classes, had the overnight suitcase ready, and notified our parents. We were advised to go to the hospital when
contractions were 10 minutes apart.
At about 6 PM on February 9, 1974, the
contractions started. At 10 PM they were
10 minutes apart. Rich had made himself
some boiled eggs to take along in case this was going to last till morning.
At 10 PM I
checked into the hospital and began the adventure. Rich was there coaching me, encouraging me to
breathe “whoo, whoo, whoo” every time a contraction started. This went on until 6 AM the next morning. We were both tired.
The doctor came in to check on me then said, “Just a little
more to go.”
Meanwhile Rich said, “My boiled eggs are on the counter at
home. I don’t dare leave you now. Maybe I can go quickly to the cafeteria to
get something.”
Just then a nurse came in and offered him a breakfast
tray! I should not eat but he could.
The hours went by until 2 PM, all the time “whoo, whoo,
whooing,” every 5 minutes or so.
Finally, the doctor said “I think we need to do a Cesarian
section as I don’t think this baby is going to come out on his own. You’re too little to birth him.” I was only 85lbs and 4’10 tall. I had gained 25 lbs over the 9 months.
Because this was now considered surgery, Rich had to wait in
the waiting room. I was exhausted after
18 hours of labor. Being numbed was a
blessing. It seemed that in no time I was
holdinga crying baby boy, 6lb, 11 oz of joy!
The next day, a hospital office clerk came to me to verify
the information for his birth certificate.
She asked: “Mrs. Vogl, you have a lovely baby boy. What will be the child’s name?”
“Charles,” I answered.
“Vogel? Spelled Vogel?”
“No. Vogl”
“Oh. Vogal”
“No. Vogl”
“Do you mean Vogle?”
“No. Vogl.”
“No “e”? Vogl?”
“Yes. No ‘e’”
“What will the middle name be?”
“Hong-Sun”
“How do you spell that?”
“H-O-N-G- (Hyphen) S-U-N,” I spelled slowly.
“What kind of name is that?”
“Chinese.”
“HONG-SUN?”
“Yes.”
Pause…
How do you want to spell Charles?
I never have enjoyed your clever witty sense-0-humour as much as in these blogs! Thanx for making me laugh at a time when there are just not as many opportunities to be silly or laugh ... I've missed this so much since my mom went home to heaven ... perhaps I need to actively seek out humourous entertainment! Thanks again!
ReplyDelete