Saturday, June 13, 2020

WE ARE ALIVE!!!

This episode is the aftermath of being rescued from our plane crash on our Zambian trip in 2000.  We were rescued from the jungle and brought to safety in the Kasanka National Park.  (Other episodes are to come.)

The four Vogls, (Rich, Marcia, Charles, James), Pilot Robert, and the German  doctor would go on with Edmond, the park ranger, to Kasanka National Park Camp for the night.

Before leaving the site of the rescue plane the doctor said to me, “How is the pain?”  He was asking about my crushed foot.

“I really don’t feel any pain.”

“If you would like, I could give you a shot of pain killer to deaden the pain.  Would you like that?”

“I think I will do fine.  Motrin will be enough.” 

“Here’s some Motrin to tie you over,” he said as he put his medicine bag on the parked plane.

We rode for two hours for 60mph on the dark Zambian road. Because of construction, this road was down to one lane in places with headlights coming straight on.  Fortunately there was very little traffic and the careful driver avoided any crash. We started at 7 PM on a paved road for the first hour and a half. The last 45 minutes were on a bumpy trail road through the forest. It was like the earlier ride but this time in the dark. 

Edmond radioed ahead for the cooks to make a hot meal and prepare 6 beds.

We arrived at the Kasanka National Park where a hot spaghetti meal was waiting for us. 

“Come sit down at the campfire,” was the invitation as they served us punch.  “The meal will be ready in a moment.” 

We were escorted to picnic tables under an awning and served a delicious meal.  It was sure good as we were starving and tired.  The staff at the park had prepared the individual cabins which were spread over the circular campground.  Each cabin accommodated 2 people and the toilets were outhouses separate from the cabins. 

“Mom, can you walk to your cabin? James asked.  “We can carry you.”

“Let me help,” Robert said as he rushed over.  The two locked arms forming a “chair” for me to sit on so they could carry me across the field.

We were all assigned and retired for the night.  Rich and I settled in for the night.

            “Oooooow,” I wailed.  The pain in my foot was increasing.  “I can’t sleep!” I said as I rolled side to side on the bed.” It was about 2 AM.

            “I’ll get the Motrin.  Where is it?”  asked Rich as he rummaged around through our things.

            “Do we have water?” I asked.

            “No.”

            “How am I going to take the pill?”

            “Can’t you just swallow it?”

            “Ooooow” I cried with tears streaming down my face.  The Motrin wasn’t helping much.

            About an hour later, “Rich, I have to go to the bathroom!”

            “Can you walk?  How about hobble?”

            “I’ll try but it’s not easy.”  I hobbled to the door of the cabin.  Once outside, we had a plan.

            “I don’t think I can carry you but I’ll hold you up,” Rich said as he put his arm under my armpits to brace me.  We only got 10 feet out.

            “Maybe I should carry you on my back like a kid?” as he bent down so I could climb on.

            As I leaned over to put my arms around his neck, “Ha ha ha, hee, hee hee,” I started to giggle.  Then Rich started to giggle.  Before we knew it, we were both on the ground laughing uncontrollably until our sides ached.

We were laughing under the clear African sky.  The stars were shining over us. WE ARE ALIVE!  WE ARE         ALIVE!!!  The tension of the day finally lifted and we were filled with silliness laughing loudly. The bright moon lit up the campus.  The crickets were chirping.  The cool night breeze was wafting over us.  We felt such joy.

 Eventually, I crawled to the outhouse and back with Rich at my side also giggling and laughing.  We lay on the bunks trying to sleep but I would start giggling and we would start all over again. The pain didn’t abate but neither did the laughing.

We didn’t get much sleep laughing until 5 AM.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feb 2025 Auto Accident

February 7, 2025  Automobile Accident  I sat stunned as the car radio had a robotic female voice say, “Emergency call sent out for Honda Acc...