In September 2020, Rich’s sister Nancy sent us an email telling us she had to evacuate from the Glass Fire zone in Sonoma County. The fire was close but they were safe. This is the 3rd time in a year they had to evacuate.
I was dumbfounded. He had made arrangements with friends who
lived nearby for us to go there to wait it out.
There was no television to watch the fire progress.
Later that
evening, we were cleared to return home.
The air was smokey. Fortunately,
we did not have smoke damage inside the house as Rich had closed all the
windows. As we looked over the canyon,
we could see the fence posts and tree stumps glowing in the dark. The next morning we saw the extent of the
burn which was on the far side of the stream toward a eucalyptus grove. After this, we installed double-paned windows
to keep out any future smoke damage.
The Modjeska Canyon fire was the
second threat (1993?). The sky was
filled with ash and smoke. We were not
required to evacuate but there was no telling which way the wind would blow the
embers. We were on alert. James, a high school student at the time, was
home with me so the two of us watered the shake roof. He watered from the front
and I, from the back. We did the best we
could with our garden hoses and pressure nozzles. Fortunately, the fire did not spread our
way. Whew! Afterward, we installed an
asphalt roof.
The third incident was in 2007 when
we were in Xian China as Global Volunteers.
Because James and I shared a family plan cell phone account, a call
would be free, if there were an emergency. Of course, I said “emergency only.” I would keep my cell phone active. One evening my cell rang. My heart jumped
when I saw he was calling.
He said, “Mom, there’s a fire in the
canyon and you might have to evacuate.
What do you want Steph and me to take out of the house? Where are the car keys so we can drive the cars
out?”
At first, I could not believe what
I was hearing. Maria was house sitting
with the dog and she would be in danger.
The only thing I could think of was my computer with all the family information
and the irreplaceable family photos.
“…and anything else you think
important,” I told him.
Rich and I
had to ponder, “What would it be like if our house burned down while we were in
China. We would come home to a burned-out house!” We scoured the TV for news in English. We could only find world news. No world news program was going to report on
a fire in Tustin, CA. We just had to
wait. Another text from James came
saying, “I’ve packed the van ready to go.”
He attached a photo taken from our back patio showing the fire on the
Peter’s Canyon hill. It was real!
The next
morning at breakfast we told our team our latest news. Some asked if we were going to rush
home. We decided there was nothing we
could do by rushing home. If the fire
moved closer, the house would already be up in smoke by now.
Fortunately, the wind blew the fire
up the hillside away from the homes. At
that time, there were no homes in danger.
When we returned home, the van was still packed and we saw what James and
Steph thought to be important. They
gathered photos from all over the house, and some antique items, some with
keepsake value. Greatly relieved, we unpacked the van.
The fourth time was in 2017 when the
fire started in Orange Park Acres, about five miles away. The sky was filled with smoke and warnings
were sent out. Rich and I packed the van
and our cars. The street access to our
area was blocked for only residents and fire personnel. At about 1 PM we were told to evacuate. We went to James’ house in the flatlands of
Orange off Tustin. This time, there was TV
news coverage constantly.
By 5 pm we could see the fire
raging through the canyon. By 6 PM we
watched the airdrop of pink fire retardant.
The aerial view showed firemen putting out a hotspot on the backside of
the hill just off our property. We
recognized our house. There was a fire
truck parked on our driveway and one on the street. By nightfall, we could only see flames as we hoped
our house was spared. We spent the night
at James’ where they gave us their bedroom and they took the sofas.
In the morning, we saw a smoldering
canyon on television but we were still not allowed back into the area until 3 PM. Homes near the canyon floor got scorched but
our house was safe on the hill.
When we returned home, we saw where
the hot spot was put out—about 120 feet from the house. The 100-foot back yard hose was extended all
the way. We were told firemen camped out
on our patio to keep an eye on the house.
Bless them! The next day I took the
dog for a walk around the neighborhood to survey the damage. Fire trucks were still patrolling the area and
several houses on the edge of the canyon suffered serious damage. None completely burned down but the repair
would be extensive. Other houses were
covered with pink retardant.
No comments:
Post a Comment